Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week2_AoP_1to4

The Art of Possibility
by Benjamin Zander and Rosamjund Stone Zander

Thoughts from Chapters 1 to 4

The TED video of Benjamin Zander: (notes are taken from the video...some may be verbatim, some may be synthesized...all credit is given to him for these notes.
"one buttock playing" - let the music move you
"tone deaf" - wouldn't be able to tell when to shift gears, recognize voices, etc! Everyone has a good ear! WOW!!! American Idol here I come! j/k
I wish he was my Intro to Music teacher! I just learned a lot about Chopin! I've always liked classical music, but that was impressively unique way of teaching it.
Guess I'm one of the 3%. "Everyone loves classical music. They just haven't found out about it yet."
A conductor doesn't make a sound. His power depends on making other people powerful.
Awaken possibility in other people. Look at their eyes.

Who am I being that my "people's" eye's aren't shining?

WoW what a powerful statement! In the process of creating and revamping my virtual classroom for next school year, this is a great challenge for me! How can I make my students' eyes shine? How can I leave them with feedback, comments, suggestions that could stand as the last thing I say to them?

Chapter 1: It's all Invented



What a refreshing concept that it's all an invention!!! Life is all a perception of reality. We all perceive differently, so therefore reality is different. This reminds me of the many conversations I had with a dear friend. Although, I think he took this concept a little too far by saying the brick wall isn't a solid object. But, it can be perceived differently: some might say it is brown, others red. I've also had similar conversations with my father. We were reminicing awhile back, and I shared with him a memory I had. He chuckled and told me a completely different version of the story. I still say I was right (haha), but in reality, we both were. I heard a saying and sorry I can't give credit to the original speaker just know it wasn't me..."There are three sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth."

This is a differently avenue then where the author of this book is going. However, it does tie in with the "its all invented" theory.

Chapter 2: Stepping into the Universe of Possibility

Well honestly, this chapter could have saved me hundreds in therapy costs! I connected on a personal level with this chapter. The "world of measurement" is one of chaos and shame. The "little voice in the head" can overshadow the reality of life surrounding it. It creates the imaginary box that one can not get out of for fear of the unknown. But when we realize that we are in fact a small part of a bigger world, then we can see the "universe of possibility" is a vast expanse of, yes, the unknown, but also of something greater than ourselves.

The practice for this chapter is to ask, "How are my thoughts and actions, in this new moment, reflections of the measurement world?" And once answered honestly you can ask, "How are my thoughts and actions, in this new moment, reflections of the measurement world?" And as one goes through life, you can repeat this "and now?" until we come into a place of knowing we are part of the universe of possibility.

"Take a piece and the pie is whole again."

Chapter 3: Giving an A

This was a tough chapter for me. It seemed a little "high" on something. The principle is great! However, in the reality of grades and of measuring students, how do you apply this principle?
So if I give my students an A...and a few don't meet the standard...how can I justify keeping them at an A? Zander talked about literally giving a student an A and then figuratively giving an A as a way to see the universe of possibility in another person. However, when the two worlds collide in the classroom, grades HAVE to be given (much to my dismay). And grades are unfortunately a way to measure a student against a standard and therefore against each other...there seems to be an idealistic feel to this chapter and one that I wish discussed further, because I think the authors are on the verge of something big and revolutionary.
The story of Tanya and the bowings was a great A-ha moment for me. Too often, as a teacher, things are done to a certain expectation. But what I should be doing is listening to the students and composing together the route to the destination. The standards are the Key to the map (the legend), but the journey can and must take on a life of its own.
pg 39 "The player who looks least engaged may be the most committed member of the group. A cynic, after all, is a passionate person who does not want to be disappointed again." So I need to speak to the passion and not to the cynicism.

Chapter 4: ***more to come***

Check back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment