Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Week1_Wimba

OH Wimba how I love thee! Thank goodness for archive!

My FAVORITE part was the literature discussion. Why?! Because I needed the most clarification on this (long long story), but this has been a HUGE frustration for me. So I'm SUPER thankful for this clarification FINALLY!

"lit rev is a survey [overview] of a lot of literature..."
"what did the world say about what I want to do?"

Broad spectrum - no list - not research paper
A dialogue that covers the spectrum of what you're researching.

Jen Geiger said during a conversation, "What would Diane Sawyer say about the literature?" which went along with the professor's analogy of a good talk show host!!! Where was this analogy eight months ago?! Super thankful for a fresh viewpoint to this process. Think the curtain is finally pulling away from the window. I can see daylight. Oh wait, those are street lights!

Professor Bustillo said, "hmm I had this question and I'm wondering what all these people said." So does that mean we can state the question in the introduction?

Second portion of very needed information: CBR!

I need to update the site and consistently throughout all pages. Update all pictures and videos. Basically fill in all pages that we have started thus far.

On the plan page I need to add how many participants were added. Update LR references page and the notes with the mind mapping.

Data data data...gotta put the data together and make a few statistics. Did you know that 86% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Abstract: 120 words or less! Descriptive...Haiku -- initial questions, lit review, methodology, results, conclusion...don't defend, not why i did it, but how.

(insert record scratch here) WHAT?! We are going to apply to present or be published?! I'm wondering who the collective "we" is in the "we weren't getting as big of a payoff as we could get or should get given the amount of work that you guys have already done." Because the "we" if that includes me would mean that my payoff of a raise, job advancement, etc could be sufficient for me and therfore my choice to then go into retirement would be my choice if I chose not to get published. I'm really caught off guard by this even though a peer mentioned it in a conversation last night after class (I watched archive today). In month 1 (and 2) it was stressed that we could if we wanted to, but we wouldn't be forced to publish even though we'd be fully prepared to publish if we so chose. The analogy that has become forefront for this process is "It's all fluid"(always changing) in this Alice in Wonderland world.

I guess I now know what a fish feels like when I'm fishing. Oh this pretty lady is providing me with food, how nice is that?! "Swim little fishies over to my line." *gulp* Oh no! There's a hook! Swim away! Swim away! Nope, I'm snagged.





I was looking into getting published or presenting at some point in the future, but not necessarily with this project. The lit review is turning into a community written plan and not necessarily something that I would put my name on as a finished product. However, I am reworking it this week to see if I can salvage my voice.

As I'm listening to the archive, this song started running through my head.






The chorus keeps running through my head, "whatya want from me?" However, as I actually listened to the lyrics it fits this process pretty well.

"Just don't give up I'm workin it out 
Please don't give in, I won't let you down 
It messed me up, need a second to breathe 
Just keep coming around 
Hey, whataya want from me 
Whataya want from me 
Whataya want from me"


"Just don't give up on me 
(uuuuuuh) I won't let you down 
No, I won't let you down"

written by: Pink, Max Martin, and Shellback and released on Adam Lambert's November 2009 album "For your Entertainment".






3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the "surprise" requirement that we publish or present! Prof Bustillos' comment about Full Sail not getting enough bang for the buck did NOT sit well with me either! The $$$ we pay in tuition is not enough of a payoff for the people in charge; we must publish so Full Sail can get their 15 minutes of fame per each of us? I'm really angry! This just rubs salt into the still-fresh wound of all the confusion with our group and CBR! It was only January that we all realized we had to implement the Apple CBL with our students, not just complete our own challenge (to ourselves) with motivation and social learning? For me, that meant a whole revamp and new literature for the lit review to include student-controlled projects as well as Web 2.0! I don't think I want to present or publish anything about my study, since I'm not even sure I did it well! I've had to compromise what I really wanted to try in the classroom with what seemed to be required of our project from FS. Why would I publish a Frankenstein of a project? And the GPS points requirement has really made me feel like I cannot speak up too loudly or forcefully in protest or to advocate for myself, for fear of being "unprofessional" and "creating conflicts."

    This blog requirement can help or hurt too. It has the potential to unite us in our dissent about the new graduation requirement, but it can also hurt (me) grade-wise, I suppose, if this post is deemed unprofessional.

    Jason, as you read this, I apologize since this puts you in a bad position and none of the confusion had anything to do with you! But I feel like no one listens. Jenney and I guessed early on that WE were being studied by Roxanne or Sue or someone. I now have empathy for the rat in the maze, just trying to get OUT! Jenney hit the nail on the head with the fishing metaphor. Now that it is month 11, we are definitely "hooked" and reeled in, and are somewhat going willingly in the hopes that it will just be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenney,

    Yes... There seems to be a surprise around every corner. I think your frustration is understandable and most of us can identify with it. We may not all admit it, but we understand.

    I also think your comments about data are spot on. Numbers are often manipulated and unreliable. In particular, that which is done in the name of 'education research' definitely needs to be examined with a suspicious and discerning eye. I am not arguing that valid education research doesn't exist, but often I think liberties are taken with the data. For example, Gardner's MI theory is often quoted and taken as the gospel by professionals in education. Despite much criticism by reputable sources like Lynn Waterhouse (Child Psychologist) and John White (Emeritus Professor of Philosophy of Education at the Institute of Education University of London) to name a few, Gardner's theories are bandied about in secondary circles like they are facts and indisputable science. Even Gardner himself, according to Waterhouse, has lamented that his research lacks reliable data yet he has greatly altered the landscape of education. In my opinion, education isn't a science and in many cases it cannot be argued or have new theories and revelations proven as such. And in attempts to make it a science, data sometimes gets distorted.

    I have included links to two articles below.

    http://lynnwaterhouse.intrasun.tcnj.edu/Inadequate%20evidence%20for%20Multiple%20Intelligences,%20Mozart%20%20Effect,%20and%20Emotional%20Intelligence%20Theories.pdf

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spanglefish.com%2FMariesSite%2Fdocuments%2Freferences%2FWhite%252005%2520HowardGardner_171104.pdf&rct=j&q=white%20multiple%20intelligences&ei=ufcQTvaGFpCKsAKTyq2dCg&usg=AFQjCNHRzvGHKr6uOOgeNFf25UpXFpxbrg&sig2=3u25WU-OXGsbHKaDq2mzJg&cad=rja

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freaked after the Wimba too. Presenting is a lot of work (been there, done that -- several times), none of which will help me implement the FSO-inspired new curriculum for next year. Besides, kinda silly to present a plan. I'd like to get a couple of years' results under my belt first. I've already labeled next year an "Open Beta" and fully expect lots of edu-bumps in the road. Part of the continuing joy of trying something new -- a Mac Lab tradition that students have come to expect.

    Yes, our mentoring program (which grew out of the CBR) was hyper-successful and will be continued but it too is embryonic and not ready for prime time. Besides, it will be valuable to discover if it's sustainable with a new crop of students. I suspect so but one never knows.

    As for publishing, you've all seen http://maclab.guhsd.net/blog/?page_id=17972 so I won't repeat that deeply-felt rant.

    Back in the saddle again...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_a_rock_and_a_hard_place

    ReplyDelete