Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Week1_FairUse

Thoughts before I read this section:

1. I use songs that students know and re-word them in Spanish vocabulary.
2. some I create, some are pilfered from...you guessed it...online.
3. I had students create their own songs in Spanish using already existing music...often the hit pop song of the day.

So am I illegal by doing this? How can I protect myself and my students from legal action, but still be able to use this fun activity?

So let me read the assignments and I'll get back to you.

Well according to the Fair(y) Use Tale fair use is a small snippet of copyright intellectual property that you can use for:
1. teach
2. news reporting
3. parody
4. critical comment

Rules for use under the Fair Use policy
1. nature of the work
2. the amount you borrowed
3. commercial impact
4. doesn't change the works value

The ReMix culture video states that it is all about "balance". Finding the delicate balance to keep everyone happy, to keep the authors and remixers teetering on the thin line between fair use and copyright infringement.

Use the Code of Best Practices!!! Give credit to creators!!!

So maybe my youth pastor's view of "better to do it and ask forgiveness than to risk the slow process of asking for permission."

1 comment:

  1. Jenney,
    The idea of using popular (and familiar) music to teach Spanish through translating the lyrics is brilliant! As for the legality, I'm simply incapable of rendering judgement as I find the minutia of copyright law beyond my grasp. With permission, of course, everything is cut and dried but without, I cannot imagine a scenario where you would run afoul of the law if the materials were employed solely in your classroom. Of course, in the brave new Web 2.0 collaborative world, limiting these valuable edu-resources to your classroom alone is almost criminal in itself.

    Rather than following your youth pastor's view, you might try employing a middle strategy: Ask permission _after_ recording the translated version and include data describing how students have benefitted. Once one artist grants permission it would seem easier to get another's using the first as an example. I'd suggest using an edu-friendly artist to begin with. Will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas is a terrific supporter of the arts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete